In most Moodle themes, the Moodle logo is shown at the bottom of each page, also known as the footer section. When making a Moodle site for a college or another professional setting, it is possible to remove Moodle logos from a footer section via the theme. This can be useful for rebranding a website or simply adding custom flair to your Moodle environment. Depending on the type of theme, the Moodle logo can be removed either through the Moodle dashboard or through the code on the server. In this article, we will explain how to remove the Moodle branded logo from two different themes: Formal White (via the dashboard) and Afterburner (via code edits).
- How to Remove Moodle Logos in the Footer via Dashboard
- How to Remove Moodle Logos via Code Edits
How to Remove Moodle Logos in the Footer via Dashboard
Many themes have the option to edit the theme properties through the Moodle Site administration section. In the Appearance > Themes section, the theme can be selected and edited through the dashboard. In this case, the Formal White theme will be used as an example.
The image below displays what the theme looks like with the Moodle logo at the bottom of the page. Reasons for removing the logo range from aesthetic preference to corporate branding strategies.
Accessing Theme Settings in Moodle Dashboard
- First, log into the Moodle Dashboard
- Once in the dashboard, select Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Formal white in the Settings menu on the left.
- On the next page, select Never from the Display credits to moodle.org box. Then click Save changes.
- Next, make sure the theme cache is cleared to ensure that the changes will be reflected on the live site. Go to Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme selector. Click Clear theme caches.
Congratulations, you have successfully removed the Moodle logo from the footer!
How to Remove Moodle Logos via Code Edits
Another way to remove the Moodle branded link in the theme is to comment them out through the code on the server. An example of a theme that does not have the ability to remove the Moodle branded link at the bottom of the template is the Afterburner theme.
The above image shows the Moodle logo at the bottom of the Afterburner theme. This cannot be removed through the Moodle Site administrator. Because the option is not in the Moodle dashboard, the code will need to be edited on the server. Simply adding a comment to the line of code will prevent the logo from displaying on the site.
How to Edit Theme Code
- First, log into cPanel. Once logged in, navigate to the theme files via the cPanel file manager. The file to edit is:
- Once editing the file, navigate to the lines where the footer is located. In this case its on line 117. Moodle will show where the footer begins with the following comment:
<!-- START OF FOOTER -->
The code to comment out is highlighted in the image below.
- Next you will need to add comments to the lines as seen in the above screenshot. To add a comment on a line of code, type “<!–” before the code and “–>” after the code. For example:
<!-- <p>Some Code here<p> -->
Save the changes
- Next, makes sure the theme cache is cleared for the changes to show on the site. Go to Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme selector.
Click Clear theme caches.
Congratulations, you have successfully removed the Moodle logo via code!Trust your website to an industry leader in website hosting. InMotion Hosting offers secure web hosting with 99.99% uptime, 24/7/365 technical support, and 100% money-back guarantee.